Medical Care for Cadets and Junior Canadian Rangers

Alternate Formats


Throughout this document the term cadet and Junior Canadian Ranger (JCR) also refers to Staff Cadets and Staff Junior Canadian Rangers.

Parent's Permission

When a cadet/JCR joins the organization, parents are asked to sign a form where they provide consent for a number of things, one of them being “receiving emergency medical and dental care.”

Initial Point of Contact

The initial point of contact for any questions or concerns is the Commanding Officer of the Cadet Corps/Squadron.

How to Report an Injury and Submit a Claim Form

Step 1 – Report an Injury

  1. Cadets and their parents / guardians can see an adult staff member of the corps / squadron or Cadet Training Centre (CTC) who will complete a DND 2299 “Report on Injuries or Exposure to Toxic Material”.
  2. An adult staff member or th corps / Squadron or CTC will submit the completed DND 2299 to the Regional Cadet Support Unit (RCSU) within 30 days of the injury.
  3. The RCSU will forward the DND 2299 Report to the national office of the Navy League, Army Cadet League or Air Cadet League of Canada.
Step 2 – Submit a Claim

  1. Cadets and their parents / guardians can submit a potential claim for insurance through the applicable national office of the Navy League, Army Cadet League or Air Cadet League of Canada.  
  2. The claim form is available from the website of the applicable national office of the Navy League, Army Cadet League or Air Cadet League of Canada.  
  1. The claim form must be:
  • Submitted within 52 weeks of the date of injury.                              
  • Filled out accurately and include all required signatures of the claimant, doctor, etc.
  • Must be accompanied by “original” invoices. Copies of invoices will not be accepted by the insurer.


Medical Care at the Corps/Squadron/Patrol

During authorized cadet/JCR activities throughout the training year, health services are provided by the provincial/territorial health authorities. The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF)/Department of National Defence (DND) and/or League Insurance pays for necessary treatment that is not covered by provincial/territorial health authorities if the injury was not caused by a pre-existing condition and the injury took place during an approved cadet/JCR activity. This is the same level of medical treatment that would be provided to a Reserve Force member on official duty. It is the norm that individuals on-site with first-aid training will provide first aid in the event of an injury.

Clinic at Cadet Training Centres and Enhanced Training Sessions

Cadet Training Centres (CTCs) and JCR Enhanced Training Sessions (ETSs) will be equipped with a clinic whose mission is to provide emergency healthcare. The mission of the clinic is to stabilize the patient and evaluate the need for more advanced healthcare. In accordance with current regulations, cadets/JCR are provided treatment at the CTC/ETS similar to what one would expect at an average walk-in clinic dealing with minor ailments. These clinics also oversee the distribution of prescription medications that the cadets/JCRs have when they arrive. Major ailments or injuries to cadets/JCRs beyond the capacity of the clinic are referred to provincial/territorial health authorities for treatment.

There is a screening process completed prior to attending a CTC/ETS to ensure the cadet/JCR is medically able to complete the training offered. Clinics are not able to provide care for pre-existing dental or medical problems that prevent the cadet/JCR from participating in the directed training. A cadet/JCR with an ailment that cannot be supported by the CTC/ETS is returned home.

Provincial / Territorial Health Cards

All cadets/JCRs must have a copy of their provincial/territorial health and original photo identification card in their possession. Cadets/JCR who live outside the region where the course is being conducted must have a copy of their personal or family health card issued by their respective province/territory.

Prescription Medication

Cadets/JCRs requiring prescription medication must bring sufficient medication to last for their entire stay at the CTC/ETS. Medications will be logged in and retained by CTC/ETS Medical Staff, together with dispensing instructions. Although proper dosages and frequency are supervised by CTC/ETS staff, cadets/JCR are expected to be aware of, and understand, their own medication requirements. If prescription replenishment is likely to be required during the course, cadets/JCR must have in their possession the medication renewal prescription, the dosage, and sufficient funds to cover the cost of acquiring the medication. Canadian Forces Health Services will not pay for refilling prescriptions. All prescription medication must be accompanied with the completed Over the Counter/Prescribed Medication Administration form found in CATO 16-04 which is available at the corps/squadron/patrol.

Over-the-Counter and Patient Medicines

Cadets/JCR are not permitted to retain any non-prescription medications. Should circumstances warrant, CTC/ETS medical staff will administer any appropriate medication. All over-the-counter medication must be accompanied with a completed Over the Counter/Prescribed Medication Administration form found in CATO 16-04 which is available at the corps/squadron/patrol.

Medic-Alert Bracelets

Cadets/JCRs in possession of a Medic-Alert bracelet must wear the bracelet while attending a CTC/ETS

Eyeglasses, Lenses, Contact Lenses, and Frames

The CAF will replace or repair lost or broken glasses or contact lenses, if the damage or loss is directly attributable to training or duty and was unavoidable. These items are the personal property of the Cadet/JCR therefore, it is strongly recommended that the cadet/JCR or the parent has insurance coverage for repair/replacement of eyeglasses. In addition, cadets/JCRs requiring eyeglasses shall have in their possession two pairs of glasses and a copy of the prescription. Cadets/JCRs are responsible for the safety of their eyeglasses and must exercise due diligence in preventing loss or damage (wearing retaining straps, etc).

Dental Services

When a cadet/JCR suffers any injury to the teeth and adjacent oro-facial structures attributable to performance of duty, a cadet/JCR is entitled to the treatment that is necessary to restore a state of oral health comparable to that which existed prior to the injury. Re-constructive oral surgery to correct a pre-existing condition will not be provided.


Cadets/JCRs, civilian instructors and volunteers are not eligible for compensation and benefits set out in Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) for the Canadian Armed Forces; only CAF members are eligible/entitled to receive such benefits.

The cadet/JCR will receive health care to treat the attributable condition until the responsibility for providing health care has been, in the opinion of the senior medical authority, successfully transferred to the provincial/territorial authorities.

The CAF/DND and/or League Insurance will pay for necessary health care that is not covered by provincial/territorial health authorities which is required to treat the attributable condition and is authorized by the senior medical authority.

Contact Information - General Inquiries

Regional Cadet Support Unit (Atlantic)                   1-877-494-8164

Regional Cadet Support Unit (Eastern)                   1-800-681-8180

Regional Cadet Support Unit (Central)                    1-877-381-6857

Regional Cadet Support Unit (Northwest)                1-800-842-1851

Regional Cadet Support Unit (Pacific)                     1-800-661-4255


Navy League of Canada:  1.800.375.6289

Army Cadet League of Canada:  1-877-276-9223 

Air Cadet League of Canada:   1-877-422-6359

Date modified: